Shipping and International Trade
Wilson Harle has a specialist shipping and international trade team which provides advice on all aspects of shipping and maritime services, including super yacht building and operation. The team also advises on related areas such as aviation, international trade, documentary credits and insurance.
The team is accustomed to dealing with issues on an urgent basis. Wilson Harle's shipping clients include many of the world's P&I clubs, as well as ship owners, charterers, super yacht operators and a wide range of operators in the transport and logistics fields.
The firm's services include:
- Litigation - disputes over charter parties, letters of credit, sale contracts, cargo loss, damage or delay, collision, salvage, and all aspects of the admiralty jurisdiction.
- Commercial - ship sale and purchase, ship registration and mortgages, yacht construction, refit and finance, joint venturing, chartering, contracts of affreightment, stevedoring and all other aspects of port and ship management and operation.
- Environmental - specialised advice on marine pollution issues, including the application of legislation relating to oil spills, dumping and discharge of ballast water.
- Public law/regulatory - representation in maritime safety investigations and charges, obtaining licences and similar permits and challenging regulatory decisionmaking.
Work undertaken by the firm includes the following examples:
- Acted for the charterer in an arbitration to determine liability between owner and charterer in respect of major cargo damage following engine failure in heavy seas.
- Acted for the Russian Federation in a claim against the Commonwealth of Australia in the International Tribunal of the Law of the Sea, in Hamburg, in respect of the seizure of a vessel in the Southern Ocean.
- Reviewed and redrafted the Ports of Auckland's standard terms and the terminal contracts with the shipping lines which use the port facilities.
- Acted in the sale of a fishing vessel fleet to another major fishing operator.
- Acted for various overseas purchasers and law firms in relation to problems arising from financial difficulties experienced by local boatbuilders, including issues arising from New Zealand legislation affecting the giving of debt securities over vessels under construction.
- Acted frequently in arresting vessels, setting aside arrests, and in priority hearings and other admiralty procedures.
For urgent assistance please contact a member of our shipping team directly:
p +64-9-915 5705
m +64-21-617 007
p +64-9-915 9715
m +64-21-558 327